More Packaging 1 -

Having thought long (Very loooong) and hard about where I want to go with my packaging etc. I kind of had a change of heart after a 'brainwave'. I still want humour to be apparent in the product and the package but I also want to have a take a more 'sophisticated' approach.
Something I was concerned with before was the sustainability of the packaging etc. and I later realised if I promoting braces, if someone really wants to keep the packaging of something they aren't usually concerned with the stock or material i.e. tin or board, and similarly, if I did go down the route of making something out of tin or a more sustainable material, if they don't like the design, they aren't going to keep it.
So, more recently I have been looking at simple, cost effective packaging so also 'look nice' for the consumer. Here are a few examples:

Elle Macpherson Intimates (Designer: Container, China/Australia)

This is a 'drawer box' for gifting multiple pairs of underware, using sliding tray, the product came fully boxed with bow included. I thought this was a simple, contemporary way of packaging quite a boring product and I think it works really well for the target audience (women) as not only is the product a necessity (for most women...) but the gift box is almost an added gift because it could be kept and used for other things i.e. a giftbox to send a different product to someone else.

Presence in Abscence (Designer: Colm Keller, Sweden)


This was the designers 'Masters Thesis project', he wanted to highlight the issue of increasing long-distance relationships and the drawbacks of computer mediated communication. In all honesty, I wasn't really concerned with the idea behind the packaging, it was simply the packaging that drew me to this. I'm not a huge fan of the material that has been used, but i'm sure it has a meaning to the project, but it is mainly the way it folds and how the product it securely held in place; I feel it would be quite a 'pleasant experience' when the consumer opens it up and once again, it is probably something they would keep .

400 Costumes to Die For (Designer: GS Design, US)


"Designed to help recipients decide what to be for Halloween, the piece consists of two custom-made, 20 sided dice - one with 20 modifiers, the other with 20 nouns - that together offer 400 possible original costume combinations (Zombie elvis, Kung Fu Jesus etc.)...The is tube is an economical one-colour hot stamp on black paper. The instructions were printed as one colour labels and affixed to the inside of the lid"
I really think this is just an all around great product and package...I want one.
But, the reason I chose to put it up here was because I think it is a really good example of one colour printing, and its one solid colour, no tones etc. I also think it is effective how the packaging is so much bigger than the actual product, it makes it more of a 'surprise' when the consumer opens it.

Food Lovers - Organic Coffee (Designer: Isabela Serta, Brazil)


I didn't really pick this for the design, it was more because of the way the packaging is sealed. I hadn't really considered different ways of sealing something until I saw this, I assume this has been packaged in that way to keep it air tight but it could be really be adapted to most things (as long its thin enough to be sewn obviously) plus, it is visually interesting aswell.

Debonair Cigars and Tabacco (Designers: Royaly, US)


"Debonair Cigars and Tobacco are designed with a focus on the early 1900's. Stay confident, stylish and charming."
This was another example that I saw and just loved it straight away. It almost makes me want to buy a cigar, just so I can get that box and sleeve. I really like how it has incorporated the 'focus on the early 1900's' yet it still looks contemporary. This is made out of wood, therefore sustainable and I assume the recipient would keep it but the idea of a simplistic box with a sleeve could be simulated in various materials. In addition to the packaging, I think the brand image is great aswell; bold, one (or possibly 2 colour) and humourous.
Love it.



No comments:

Post a Comment