Packaging Research 6 -

Due to the nature of What is Good being teeth, I decided that I would look at advertising orientated around teeth; so, toothpaste.
Another area of my project is the used of stereotypes and stereotypes tend to be based on 'old' things and my research has shown that the basis of the stereotype that British people all have bad teeth does originate from the past, therefore I haven't really looked at recent advertising I wanted to look more at 'vintage' or simply, older advertisements to see how they portray teeth.

I found a great blog where most of my research is from,
www.chronicallyvintage.com.

The author did a post only a few month ago titled:
Adventures in Vintage advertising: brushing up on the history of toothpaste ads.
(Lucky me?)

Pebeca Toothpaste ad - 1917
This was the first image I found when looking for 'vintage toothpaste advert', personally I don't really like the style of illustration however I do find interesting, that toothpaste was advertised as being so important in 1917, interestingly though Pebeco is an American brand.

Listerine Toothpaste as - 1930's
I really like the imagery used in this advertisement, I actually find it quite humorous aswell, which is a tone of voice that I want to portray through my work. The reason I find it humorous is simply the nature of it, that it is 5 women, just 'casually' posing, all smiling, with perfect teeth. "Its safe to say they use listerine!", this style could be parodied and taylored towards my what is good i.e. 5 women smiling, with horrible teeth, "Its safe to say they're British!".

Ipana Toothpaste ad - 1934
The main emphasis of this advertisement was that creamy foods were apparently bad for your teeth, I love how the heading is in a soft, cursive, 'kind' text for the 'Enjoy those', and then they have used a bold, uppercase, serif font for the 'CREAMY FOODS' as if they are something scary. As we have been looking at the tone of voice through typefaces, I can image it would be "Enjoy those" in a nice, calm, soft feminine voice and then "creamy foods" in a big, booming, manly voice.

Pepsodent ad - 1944
I have to say, I found it strange that this advert was used after the previous ones. For some reasons it just looks older, maybe the lack of colour but I suppose they will have still wanted to save on printing costs!
This is another one where the heading/strapline could be taylored for my work. "Do your teeth complete your charm?" is again enforcing the importance on nice teeth.

Gleem toothpaste ad - 1947
This is another example I found quite humorous although I doubt it was intended to be humorous at the time. It seems to imply that by using their toothpaste you will find love, obviously because your teeth are so nice.
I've noticed there was a Lot more writing in the adverts back then? Maybe due to where the advertising was going to be published.

Macleans Ad - 1953
Once again I like the imagery used here, it strangely seems very 'American'. Just because of the stereotypical perfect 'housewife' image and the perfect, gleaming white teeth.

S.R toothpaste - 1957
Here they seemed to want to move away from having people as the main imagery for the advert but obviously couldn't live without it and had to have a littel picture at the bottom however, I think at a glance, the type at the top makes it look like it would be advertising a horror movie or something. I don't find this as interesting as the earlier examples.

Colgate ad - 1960
Slightly strange use of imagery, implying that colgate is so good it should be birthday present? But, once again they have used the 'perfect american housewife' image to show that Good wholesome American families all have good teeth.

I hope to involve some of these examples in my design development.

No comments:

Post a Comment