Criminal Damage - Existing products

In order to get a clearer sense of the brand, before looking at other design inspiration, I chose to look at the brands existing products to see if there was any common theme or a style that they go for:

1. This is from the current season and I actually don't really like it; in comparison to the other products that they have on sale and have had on sale previously, I just don't think it fits. It almost looks like a free vector that you get off the internet.
Judging by the colours, I think it is based on Hayley Williams from Paramore (a band that are associated with the target audience of the clothing brand.) Although this does possibly identify why the print is in the current season - I still don't think it looks particularly good.

2. All over prints are quite common in the brand, especially on the 'rockabilly' style dresses and the girls skinny tees. I really like how simplistic the illustration can be, i.e. the donuts, but just by repeating it, it creates quite an interesting print...if it was really detailed it would probably be too busy and just look confusing.

3. Photos were something that was suggested when I contacted the company, that they are looking at for the next season. I do think some of the above image work like the cassette. I don't think any of them are particularly horrible but some of them look more topshop than criminal damage? Although when I was contacting the company they did identify that they are becoming more mainstream so maybe they feel they should look more topshop.
However, I aim to distance my images from this.

4. These are really really simple and I do think they work really well but in terms of developing my portfolio, I think I will be focusing on more detailed images.

5. I couldn't really find a 'group' to put these two images in but I think the images are great - especially the eyeball one. In terms of looking for further design context, I would like to find more examples of work like this.

6. Tattoos are clearly a big inspiration for this brand, its evident as soon as you look at the models that they choose to show their clothes on; covered in tattoos. I really like the style of imagery that the tattoo culture has, especially the 'old school' style. I definately think this is something that I will look at more.

7. More unrealistic than some of the others, I once again really like these - they have detail but the bold lines and vivid colours make them quite 'cartoony'. In terms of type as image, I think this style of imagery works best.

8. My favourites. These 2 examples are from the current season and they're my favourites from all the examples I have selected. I like the fact that the colours aren't 'in your face' bright and that the t-shirt isn't really black, its more of a dark grey. The simple type on the back to make it look like a football jersey works with the print on the front and means the t-shirt isn't just blank on the back - you're showing a print from both sides.

No comments:

Post a Comment