Rik Lee Type as image






When I came across this artist, it was was one of those 'wow' moments.
I discovered him because the first piece shown on this post was actually from the first Lyrics and Type exhibition that Timba Smits hosted in Australia, and the that I looked at his work - the more I liked it.

The pieces like the lyrics and type one, the 'gin and juice' and 'don't forget' - they're are all type as image but its totally readable because the structure of the typeface it is based on is still there - it shows that to make some this visually engaging as a type as image piece, you don't have to completely remove the original typeface, just work with it.

The other pieces with the script text, I also love because it reminds me of tattoos (obviously because of the tattoo gun)...the texture in the lettering is really delicate and soft.

No comments:

Post a Comment