The Guardian weekend magazine...

So, I went out and bought The Guardian on Saturday (16th) just to see the sort of images they use etc.

The following is for Tim Dowlings column, near the front of the magazine. Illustration by Benoit Jacques, it kind of reminds me of Quentin Blake? Kind of.
It basically illustrates exactly what the article is talking about...

This illustration is from the 'This column will change your life' page, by Kelly Dyson who mostly illustrates childrens book. I really like the style of it but I can't image that this is a column where they would use exactly the same style image every week so 'my options are open' to a certain extent.

This one is from the same page as the 'this column with change your life' article, therefore the equivalent to the facebook piece. I think the main aim here is just to use an appropriate image that will work at a small scale...in a circle.

Before I even saw the magazine, I had already kind of decided that I wanted to use photography for this page and this just backs up my plans...
This image by Aaron tilley; extremely simple with a vivid colour use, work really well with the colour of the headline and the rest of the page.


The following images aren't from specific pages that we're working with...but I just thought they were nice examples of the style of imagery that the magazine uses.

This portrait of Steve Coogan by Desmond Muckian is great. I really like the colours as its almost black and white...except for his skin tone and the cropping of it works really well, with the negative space above his head.

The images below are simply good examples of editorial / documentary photography. The contrast is really effective for the subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment