Film Title Sequences

As I have chosen to do the Top 10... brief, I have looked at a variety of title sequences from film to TV.

'Catch Me If You Can' title sequence. -

This was one of the first videos that stood out to me when I simply typed in 'title sequence' on youtube.
The designer for this sequence seems to be quite a popular one for peoples contextual references - Saul Bass - from this piece, I can definately see why.
The limited colour pallette works really well; the manipulation of the type is simple but very effective and the texture of the animated people makes it look less flat as if it does actually have a texture.

'Being John Malkovich' title sequence -

Graphics/Motion design - Man versus Magnet.
Once again, a title sequence that stoof out to me. I think the movement of the 'camera' is quite interesting; the 'jerky' movment obviously goes along with the music but also creates quite a weird/creepy tone, which is appropriate for the movie.



'Juno' title sequence -

When this film came out, I heard a lot about the title sequence. I actually saw the title sequence but the film (That sounds obvious, but i mean I saw it about 2 month before I sat down and watched the actual film). The pacing and colours really set an appropriate tone for the film. Designed by Shadowplay Studios, I love it.


'500 Days of Summer' title sequence -
(I uploaded this to youtube - but I had to delete for copyright reasons...oops!
If it consequently get deleted off the blogger video aswell, I'll have to take stills from it)


Illustration by Dion Macellari.
When I went and saw this at the cinema, as soon as the title sequence came on I thought 'I am gonna LOVE this' and I honestly think the title sequence and animations formed my whole opinion on the film because the other people that I went with didn't like the film at all lol. The animation is subtle, but the textures, colour and typeface make an effective piece (in my opinion).

No comments:

Post a Comment